Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Rotary District 1230 Conference

Spending a weekend at a Rotary District Conference could be one of the best ways to start of a year of serving as an Ambassadorial Scholar.  On Friday, September 30, I traveled to Pitlochry for the District 1230 Conference.  It was a weekend full of fun and learning about my host district.  I love that no matter where I have been, Rotarians are always welcoming and have the same great passion to help the world.  A Rotarian actually arranged bus transport, so I was able to start the trip with beautiful scenery and getting to know fellow Rotarians of the district.


View during the drive to the conference
The arrangement of the conference was wonderful and had a lot of youth speakers from various programs.  Saturday morning, I gave a short presentation about where I come from in the USA and what I was going to be doing in Scotland.  My first presentation for the year!  It was also a chance to let Rotarians know I would love to come to their club meetings and present there as well.  Afterward, several people asked me to come to their clubs, so I have a list started.

District Governor Roberta Gaitan

Rotaract presenter, Jill
Interact presenter, Adam

Presenter for Euroscola, Amanda
I was really excited to get to know some lovely ladies of the Rotaract Club of Glasgow.  After being involved in Rotaract at Lamar University, it was almost like meeting distant relatives.  They were very welcoming and included me into their group as if I had been there all along.  I am hoping to get a chance to go to their meetings and work with them on service projects as well.

Rotaract table in the Hall of Friendship

Yay for Rotaract!

Overall it was a great conference!  It was also a great setting for me to be introduced to Rotary in Scotland.  Beautiful, small town with fun people to show me around.

View of the Atholl Palace Hotel, where the conference was held



View of a church in the town

Louise and I on the streets of Pitlochry
Formal evening with kilts!

Me and my host counselors, Ian and Louise


Adam plays the bagpipes as well!
Me with DG Roberta and, fellow Rotarian, Mariela

 Fun times, great memories, and awesome people!  Hope everyone at home is having a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment