Thursday, September 29, 2011

New Friends in Rotary

A chilly, rainy day in Glasgow.  What better setting for meeting my first Rotary contact for coffee?  Last week, I was able to meet John Aitken, Rotary District 1230 Ambassadorial Scholar Committee Chairman, after many emails and a few phone calls.

Rebekah and John Aitken

We discussed the upcoming District Conference (happening this weekend, September 30th-October 2nd) and my first Rotary presentation to take place at the conference.  He also shared some stories of other Ambassadorial Scholars, who came to Glasgow, and interpreted some Scottish words and customs for me.  Like other Rotarians I know, Mr. Aitken set me at ease about my upcoming presentation and future Scottish events.

This past Monday, I was also able to meet my host counselors, Ian and Louise Dickson.  I am so thankful to have such enthusiastic host counselors, who have great ideas for the next year and exciting possibilities.  During dinner, we discussed how the presentations for Rotary clubs worked and what to expect at the conference.  Ian promised to wear his kilt for conference on Saturday evening!  I hope to have some great photos to post.

They all proved once again, that no matter where you go in the world there is a friendly Rotarian there to help you along the way.  The caring spirit of Rotary is such a great thing.  No matter if you have grown up in an area or if you have been somewhere for less than a month, Rotarians want to help you succeed.  Is there a better way to travel the world and study at the university level?

No comments:

Post a Comment